Tweet

Welcome

License

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sermons We Never Hear Preached

     There is nothing like a good old fashion sermon to get those spiritual juices flowing, especially if we can walk away and say, “Thank you, Jesus, for your word.” After attending numerous church services over the last 35 years, I have been moved by the great knowledge and wisdom that has been imparted, advice to motivate a person to get out there and share the Gospel with all those with whom I come in contact with.
     Interestingly though, I have noticed a pattern in the majority of the church services I have attended, which is that usually I can almost predict that within a good month or so, the sermons will always touch on the grace of God, how much God loves His children, that we all need to confess and repent of our sins, and the pastor's most popular (and often heard) one of all, investing in our financial future by giving liberally to the church. Yes! I would have to say the “money pitch” is probably the most preached sermon in the world. Oh! There are sermons that address marriages, family life, how to succeed in all of your endeavors; but even those are filtered through some kind of “money pitch.” I don’t have any problem with donations, tithes and giving funds towards missions, nor even the various church building projects. I personally recognize that the more you give the more blessings we receive. There is no doubting that whatsoever.
     However, my biggest concern with the church services and those standard sermons is the ones we hardly ever hear. Those kind of sermons that make you not only think about what it truly means to be a good and effective Christian, but those that rock you off that comfortable perch that most Christians find themselves nestled on. I’ve spoken to many pastors throughout my years of being a Christian, and have asked them how come we never hear about this or that subject matter. Believe me, many of those pastors have told me that they don’t really want to disturb that sleeping bear because it would open up a big can of worms and cause some major problems. Sad! So sad!
     One of my all-time favorite Christian writers is A.W. Tozer, primarily because almost everything he has written, seems to go for the spiritual jugular vein; and Tozer has often said, “If I don’t get at least one or two church members in attendance mad at me, I really haven’t done my job.” In that spirit, I won’t provide you with any specific sermon in today’s blog, but I will share with you about a dozen group of scripture you rarely hear in any sermons nowadays. Hopefully they will make you think about the fact that being a soldier for Christ is not all about love, grace, mercy and loving kindness. We praise God for that aspect of His redemption plan. But, we want to share some extrememly important messages that maybe you didn't even know existed:
(1) Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law, (Luke 12:51-53)
(2) A man's enemies will be the members of his own household, (Matthew 10:36)."
(3) The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men, (Isaiah 29:13)."

(4) Then he said to them all, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?" (Luke 9:23-25)

(5) Confirming the souls of the disciples, [and] exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. (Acts 14:22)

(6) Speak out for those who cannot speak, for the rights of all the destitute. Speak out, judge righteously, and defend the rights of the poor and needy. (Proverbs 31:8-9)
(7) “And if they (Jews) do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. Parenthesis by the author, (Romans 11:23)
(8) I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if any one adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book. (Revelation 22:18-19)
(9) A certain ruler asked him, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus said to him, "Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother.'" He replied, "I have kept all these since my youth." When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." Luke 18:18-22
(10) When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?" they asked. 55 "Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?" 57And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honor." 58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith, (Matthew 13:53-57)
(11) Pointing to his disciples, [Jesus] said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother,"(Matthew 12:49-50)
(12) Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap, (Galatians 6:7)

See you in church!


For more information about this blog and the author’s two recently published books, The End Times Passover and Why Christians Will Suffer Great Tribulation, please click here Joe Ortiz

To view video click here Are You Prepared For Great Tribulation?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just came across your interesting and challenging blog and want to say that you certainly know how to get a person's attention. Correction: it's really the Word of God that is able to stop us in our tracks and command our attention - but you, Sir, are one that God uses in an effective way to present His Word to others. Thanks also for the excellent video you produced which, in my opinion, everyone should seriously consider. God bless you abundantly. Roxanne